Post Fracture Physiotherapy Rehabilitation
Bone fractures are the most common injuries and can happen for several reasons, such as falls, motor vehicle accidents and direct trauma. However, fractures are also a major health concern because they lead to disability, decreased quality of life and even death.
Physiotherapy is an integral part of post fracture rehabilitation and helps in the healing process to ensure that the patient recovers without complications.
Post Fracture Rehab
At Opal Physio Clinic, our experienced orthopedic physiotherapists are dedicated to helping you recover from fractures and regain mobility. Our post fracture rehabilitation physiotherapy service in Langley is designed to provide personalized care and support to patients who have experienced a fracture, ensuring a smooth and efficient recovery process.
What is a Fracture?
Fractures are injuries that occur when the bone breaks and the bone continuity is lost. It can occur in any part of the bone in the body.
They can be either open or closed. Closed fractures are less severe than open ones because they do not break the skin and don’t always affect the bone’s blood supply.
- Open fractures– the bone protrudes from the skin and is visible
- Closed fractures– the bone is not visible and may or may not be broken
- Comminuted fractures– can be open or closed, and it can happen in more than one place
Types of fracture
Risk factors for a fracture
The risk factors can be classified into environmental, individual, and medical factors.
Symptoms of fracture
When a bone is broken, it can cause a lot of pain. The symptoms of fractures may include:
There are several treatments available for fractures, depending on the type and severity of the fracture. Here are some common fracture treatments:
- Immobilization: involves using casts, splints, or braces to keep the fractured bone in place and prevent further movement.
- Reduction: Sometimes, the fractured bone must be manually realigned through a reduction procedure.
- Surgery: If the fracture is severe or unstable, surgery may be required to fix and stabilize the bone using plates, screws, or rods.
- Medications: Pain and anti-inflammatory drugs may be prescribed to manage pain and reduce inflammation.
- Physical therapy: Once the fracture starts to heal, physical therapy may be recommended post fracture to restore strength, flexibility, and range of motion in the affected area.
It’s of vital importance that you consult with a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment plan for a fracture.
Post fractures rehabilitation at Opal Physiotherapy
Orthopedic physiotherapy rehabilitation post fractures help patients to recover from a fracture or injury. We understand that each patient’s situation is unique, and we tailor our rehabilitation programs to meet individual needs. Our physiotherapists work closely with patients to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that focuses on:
- Promoting healing
- Encouraging weight-bearing activities
- Maintaining the strength of weakened muscles
- Maintaining the range of movement of the affected and surrounding joints
- Reducing pain and swelling
- Returning to full functional abilities.
The rehabilitation process
The rehabilitation process typically begins once the fracture has been immobilized and the patient has been cleared by their doctor or surgeon to start orthopedic physiotherapy treatment.
Our physiotherapists will guide you through a series of exercises and treatments designed to:
- Improve range of motion and flexibility
- Reduce pain and swelling
- Strengthen muscles and promote ligament healing
- Enhance general function and mobility
Benefits of post fracture physiotherapy rehabilitation
By participating in our post fracture rehabilitation program, patients can expect an optimal return to full function and a more positive rehabilitation outcome. Some of the key benefits include:
- Improved mobility and strength
- Reduced pain and discomfort
- Faster recovery and return to daily activities
- Prevention of long-term complications, such as joint stiffness and muscle weakness.
Our commitment to you
At Opal Physio Clinic in Langley, our skilled orthopedic physiotherapists are committed to providing the highest quality care and support throughout your rehabilitation journey. We work closely with you to ensure that your treatment plan is tailored to your specific needs and goals, helping you achieve the best possible outcome.
If you have experienced a fracture and require orthopedic physiotherapy rehabilitation, please contact us to schedule an appointment. Our team is here to help you regain your mobility and return to the activities you enjoy.