Sciatica Treatment Physiotherapy
Sciatica is one of the most common causes of back pain in the adult population caused by compression and inflammation in the sciatic nerve. At Opal Physiotherapy Clinic, we understand the pain and discomfort caused by sciatica. Our team of experienced physiotherapists are dedicated to providing effective treatment and personalized care to help you find relief from your symptoms.
What is sciatica?
Sciatica is a painful condition affecting the sciatic nerve, the longest and largest nerve in the human body. It originates in the lower back and runs through the buttocks and down the back of each leg. It contains motor and sensory fibres, stimulating sensation, movement, and reflexes, and carries messages from the spine to the lower extremities.
This condition occurs when the nerve is compressed or irritated, resulting in pain, numbness, and weakness radiating from the lower back to the leg.
Common causes of sciatica
- Herniated or slipped disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Piriformis syndrome
- Degenerative disc disease
- Trauma or injury
- Spinal fracture
- Back surgeries
Symptoms of sciatica pain:
There are many symptoms of sciatica pain, such as:
- Sharp. shooting and stabbing pain
- Pain in the low back and buttock
- Pain that radiates down to the leg
- Numbness and tingling in one foot or both feet
- Weakness in the leg
Physiotherapy treatment for sciatica
Many people suffering from this condition want to find effective relief from the pain. The best approach to sciatica treatment can vary between patients. It is paramount to rule out anything more serious and look out for any red flags. Your physiotherapists are trained to look for them and refer you back to your physician if there are any serious concerns.
It is necessary to identify the underlying cause of the pain. Physiotherapy treatment involves decompressing the nerve and allowing the nerve to heal. Therefore, treatment initially focuses on reducing pain. Once a pain reduction is obtained, a strengthening program is necessary to maintain pain relief and promote function. Patients are also encouraged to continue their strengthening program at home.
Sciatica can be a persistent and painful condition that is often chronic. The average number of sessions needed to relieve symptoms and prevent recurrence varies depending on the acute or chronicity of the problem.
Why choose us for sciatica treatment in Langley?
Our treatment approach
Our skilled therapists will assess your condition and develop a tailored treatment plan to address the underlying cause of your sciatica. We aim to help you regain mobility and improve your quality of life.
- Initial assessment: Our physiotherapists will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition, including a detailed medical history, physical examination, and functional tests to identify the root cause of your sciatic condition.
- Pain relief: We provide prompt pain relief through various techniques, such as ice or heat therapy, laser therapy, and manual therapy techniques.
- Exercise therapy: Our therapists will prescribe a personalized graded exercise program to strengthen your core muscles, improve flexibility, and promote proper spinal alignment.
- Manual therapy: We use hands-on techniques, such as soft tissue and joint mobilization, to release muscle tension and improve joint mobility.
- Posture correction: Our team will teach proper posture and body mechanics to prevent further strain on your sciatic nerve.
- Education: We empower our patients with knowledge about their condition and self-management strategies to prevent future episodes of sciatica.
- Maintenance program: After completing physiotherapy treatment, we offer a self-maintenance program to ensure long-term relief from sciatica.
At Opal Physio, our therapists are trained in the McKenzie method, a comprehensive approach to assessing and treating sciatic pain. This evidence-based method involves a thorough mechanical assessment to identify the specific cause of pain and tailor a treatment plan accordingly.
The McKenzie approach aims to centralize the pain, reduce symptoms, and restore function by employing a series of specific movements and postures.
Our therapists will guide you through these targeted exercises, empowering you with self-treatment techniques to manage your sciatica effectively and prevent future episodes. Trust our expert team to utilize the McKenzie Method to help you achieve lasting relief from sciatic pain.
Other benefits include:
- Highly experienced and skilled physiotherapists
- State-of-the-art facilities and equipment
- Personalized treatment plans tailored to your specific needs
- Flexible appointment scheduling
- Insurance coverage and direct billing are available
Don’t let sciatica control your life. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards a pain-free life.