Arthritis Treatment and Pain Management
Arthritis Physiotherapy Treatment in Langley
At Opal Physiotherapy Clinic, we comprehend the challenges that arthritis can bring to your daily life. Our team of experienced and dedicated physiotherapist are here to help you manage your arthritis condition and improve your overall quality of life.
Physiotherapy aims to help relieve pain and improve joint mobility by strengthening muscles, improving posture and assisting people to move by reducing disability.
What is arthritis?
Arthritis is a common condition characterized by inflammation of one or more joints, causing pain, stiffness, and reduced range of motion. There are several types, and the most common include:
- Osteoarthritis is caused by erosion of cartilage in the joint.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation in multiple joints.
- Psoriatic arthritis is a chronic autoimmune condition affecting the skin and joints. It occurs in individuals with psoriasis, a skin condition characterized by red, scaly patches. It causes joint pain, stiffness, swelling, and reduced range of motion.
- Gout arthritis is an inflammatory condition characterized by sudden, intense attacks of pain, swelling, redness, and tenderness in one or more joints, most often in the big toe.
Causes of arthritis
The causes of many types of arthritis are not fully known, but some forms of arthritis can be linked to genes. Here are some common causes:
- Wear and tear: Osteoarthritis is caused by the joint’s wear and tear over time or overuse.
- Autoimmune disorders: Rheumatoid arthritis and lupus are caused by the body’s immune system attacking the body’s tissues.
- Metabolic conditions: Gout is caused by the buildup of crystals in the joints due to too much uric acid in the blood.
- Infections: A bacterial, viral, or fungal infection can trigger infectious arthritis
- Repetitive movements: Activities that involve repetitive movements of any particular joint can cause arthritis
- Previous damage: Previous damage to a joint can increase the risk of developing arthritis
- Obesity: Obesity causes extra strain on joints and can increase the risk of developing arthritis.
It’s necessary to note that different types of arthritis have different causes, and some have unknown causes. If you have joint pain or other symptoms, it’s important to consult your physician for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Common symptoms of arthritis:
Typically, symptoms of arthritis depend on the type, age, lifestyle, and previous injuries.
Common symptoms include joint pain, stiffness, swelling, and reduced range of motion, typically worsening with age. Other symptoms may include warmth and redness in one or more joints. The specific symptoms can vary depending on the type of arthritis.
The symptoms can also vary between people. Some individuals have few or no symptoms, while others have severe pain and disability. In some cases, severe conditions can result in chronic pain and difficulty performing daily activities.
Physiotherapy for arthritis
Physiotherapy plays a crucial role in the management and treatment of arthritis. Our highly trained physiotherapists will develop a personalized treatment plan tailored to your needs and goals. Our arthritis physiotherapy services include the following:
1. Pain relief/management
Our physiotherapists will use a variety of techniques to help you manage and reduce pain, such as:
- Heat and cold therapy
- Ultrasound therapy
- Cold laser therapy
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)
- Manual therapy, including joint and soft tissue mobilization
2. Exercise and movement
Our therapists will guide you through a tailored exercise program to help improve your strength, flexibility, and range of motion. This may include:
- Range of motion exercises
- Strengthening exercises
- Aerobic activities
- Balance and coordination exercises
3. Education and support
We believe in empowering our patients with the knowledge and tools to help manage their arthritis effectively. Our therapists will provide the following:
- Education on arthritis and its management
- Guidance on joint protection techniques
- Advice on assistive devices and equipment
4. Functional training
Our physiotherapists will work with you to improve your ability to perform daily activities and maintain your independence. This may involve:
- Gait and posture retraining.
- Ergonomic assessments and modifications
- Adaptive equipment training
Why choose Opal Physio for arthritis treatment in Langley?
At Opal Clinic, our skilled and compassionate physiotherapist team is dedicated to helping you manage this condition and improve your overall well-being. We offer:
- Personalized treatment plans
- One-on-one sessions with our experienced physiotherapists
- A comfortable and welcoming environment
- Flexible appointment times to fit your schedule
- State-of-the-art equipment
Don’t let arthritis lead your life. Contact our clinic today to take the necessary step toward a more active and pain-free life.